Pages

Social Spark

Sunday, April 7, 2013

My PMA Cadet Years (Yearling) - Surviving Academics

February 1997

My yearling pic.
2 to 3- Our yearling framed picture were given this day to each member of our class.  It may be an advance gift/ congratulations for successfully conquering our second year in PMA or a parting gift as a remembrance that once we've became cadets in the academy.  There's no telling really for it was weeks before our final academic exams.  This just meant that soon our dress coat's chevrons will be raised to its shoulders and a second stripe will be gained.  The second class or 3rd year  (also known to cadet's as "cow year") was fast approaching.  I sent the plebe (1st year) pic home the following day.

4- Our company won "Major A" (first place) in the cross country run competition.  A lot of our players landed on top.  Me, I finished part of the 20's, far from my rank in the previous year.  Maybe because as a plebe you run faster especially when an upperclassman in your back tells you, "the worse, plebo (plebe)... dash and dash... you'll be reporting to me when I finish ahead of you".  Speaking of military intimidation, I mean encouragement... hahaha.

5- I joined the camera club.  Like any other universities, we also had membership on extracurricular activities like clubs and associations.  Here, we were just taught of the basics in handling and operating the camera.  There were no formal photography lessons, just passing and sharing experiences from a cadet to another cadet.  More, members of the camera club were excused in our foundation day parade, so it was what cadets called as "talent"... hehehe.

8- Me and a former squad mate were tasked to be on official business in Baguio to buy some flowers for our religious services.  We were in luck to see the city preparing for the start of their flower festival.  Though the streets were becoming crowded as local and foreign tourists came to witness the event, there was still a jolly atmosphere.

10 and 11- Running events.  I was a contender in a 400m dash and ranked 3rd in my group.  The following day, our company was 3rd place in the overall track & field.  Where's the nearest lotto outlet? LOL. 

15- Foundation Day parade... I'm with my camera... camera club... it was a different experience as you see your fellow cadets' actual parade.  A thing not everyone had a chance to see or do, witnessing the event in the grandstand and capturing moments in the camera I was using then.

16- Alumni Homecoming parade.  I was not exempted anymore... it would already be "shabbiness" on my part.  And one won't like to be termed as "shabby", as for cadets it means "taking due advantage in a not so nice manner".  Nevertheless, it was a great event, as PMA alumni march in front of us within their respective classes... snappy.

A pose before the parade proper.
18 to 20- The moment of truth,  Final exams in academics.  Got Physics, Government, Differential Calculus, History, Philosophy and Computer.  They say, yearlings had the hardest subjects which normally are the main reason of cadets being discharged or turned-back (repeating the year level).  Well, I couldn't agree more, I was actually crossing my fingers and continuously praying... and studying like there's no tomorrow, during those times.

22- For a moment I thought my life as a cadet would already end.  I didn't find any class schedule for the next semester that day.  Maybe I looked so down that my room mates couldn't bear to give me a hint, so there it was... hidden inside my study table.  Just couldn't contain my gladness that I finally passed math's differential calculus.  I thanked Yahweh for it.

But not all mistah(s) were able to make it through, in our company alone, there were 6 being discharged that day.  Simply saying that academics inside the academy was a serious matter and not to be taken for granted, as that of the other universities and colleges. 

23 to 27- Just when I was about to breath, academics started already... but there's no room for complaints, the Filipino people were paying for us to study and do good.  And that's part of our duty.  Yahweh bless.

2 comments:

  1. Epic ang hair u dito bro ah :) Old photos like these always bring the good memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! nice pic looks buutan. :p

    ReplyDelete