Pages

Social Spark

Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Video That Works

You know how frustrating it feels when you thought you finished something correctly... then you found out that it's not working as it should be.  I found myself stuck with my laptop, downloading video converters suggested by forums just to have the correct format that our DVD player would accept.

It'll be just a couple of days to our son's first birthday.  My wife and I planned to have a photo slideshow of his pictures from the day he was born to present.  Everything was really smooth sailing, from the choosing of the pics and the music to play with it until converting to to a video format.  The challenging part was when we found out that it should be playable with a DVD player since it was the only available media in the restaurant where the party will be held.

Unlike in laptops and other computers, where almost all video formats are playable, some dvd players are a little bit choosy.  Using Windows Live Movie Maker, I was quite hesitant that it's default video output [WMV file (.wmv)] would be compatible in our DVD player.  So after a bit of surfing the net, I downloaded a video converter.

I started with an MP4 format but it was rejected by our player.  Then, an AVI format as most of DVDs were but failed again.  After several minutes to an hour, I was hoping the MPEG2 format would play, but like the rest, it didn't.  Good thing we purchased a rewritable DVD, I just erased and replaced its contents.

And just when I was about to give up and ask others to do it for me, I read about the VOB video format.  No harm in giving it one last try, and what do you know, it finally worked.  Success at last... one down and a lot to go.  Good luck to us.  Yahweh bless.

9 comments:

  1. Yes I know how frustrating it is. The most annoying part is the time when I render the video and the laptop hangs. So I need to start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also do trial and error when it comes to compatible software and converters and somehow, most of the time, I find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True! It really is so frustrating. Glad you found the ONE. Good luck on your baby's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my IT son taught me how to convert videos and audios from one format to another, it is really good to have a techie man around. Though when he is not around and something went wrong I do troubleshoot it myself via trial and error method :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd probably be pulling my hair now if I was in your situation, It's a good thing that hubby is around, my all-around technician! :D yes, you learn by experience...so keep trying....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just perfect when everything falls into place just in time.Hope you had or will have a good time in your son's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel.. i was on my wits end that time, lol. I used to edit videos 5 years ago when my circle and I are celebrating debuts. VOB is the format used when you try to open the files of a movie from the DVD CD. check it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! it sucks big time when you are downloading videos and you thought you did it but it didn't happen :-( It is very frustrating, isn't it? I am glad that we always learn our lesson and gets better the next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MS has a video maker. And I know you have been using this to make you picture slide show and you could save it to its default video format. And I may suggest you may use a free video converter, Format Factory. I have experienced that MPG or MPEG format is playable to any DVD or CD player.

    ReplyDelete