Pages

Social Spark

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Wearing Of Prescribed Helmets

My helmet with the required ICC sticker.
I was on my way to work when a motorcycle crossing the street stumbled.  The driver was able to get up quickly but his passenger had to be supported to stand up.  Only the driver was wearing a helmet.  The incident reminded me when a police officer issued me a violation ticket for having a passenger without helmet.  It served to me as a reminder, for as a responsible rider, we must also be concerned of the welfare of the people riding with us.  The trouble of paying violation penalty and getting my license in the Land Transportation Office (LTO) was nothing compared to the regret that I might suffer if something bad happen for my neglect... I was with my wife that time.

Now, with the Motorcycle Helmet Act (Republic Act No. 10054), mandating all motorcycle riders to wear the standard motorcycle helmet that complies with the specifications issued by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), riding would be a lot safer.  All riders, the driver and back riders or passengers, shall therefore wear helmets with the Philippine Standard (PS) mark or Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) sticker, otherwise they will be penalized accordingly when caught by authorities.

So, I was very glad when DTI representatives were requested and came to our company for the ICC stickers.  My old helmet was checked by their representative, and since it was still in good condition and its brand was in their list, an ICC sticker was given.  For that, I need not buy a new one.

Here are some of the DTI accepted brands: Voltz, AGV, Space Crown, VCAN, Tanked, Index, Ben-2, GPX, MRC, HPH, Ainon, KOR, KOR HF, Nexx, Xpot, Caberg, KBC, LS2, Nolan, Shoei, Zeus, Hongying Bio, Zebra, Carting, GDR, HNJ, Spyder, Bio/H, HJC, AM, Yamaha, LEV3, Sol, Exsol, Powercycle, Transcycle, Studds, Aray, Posh, Penguin, ST, SUN, Yema, AXA, Snell and KH.  Visit your local DTI office or their website for the complete and updated list.

I concur and abide with this law, standard protective gears are for our own good and safety.  Something that can prevent or at least minimize injuries during accidents and not merely a decorative riding outfit or just for compliance purposes in riding a motorcycle.  It can save our lives and those riding with us.  Drive safely everyone and may the Lord bless us in our travels.


20 comments:

  1. yeah, true. people need to be cautious because they don't know what will happen next in their life. Preparations is always important in everything we do or everywhere we go to ensure a safe and happy journey. it is also nice to wear fashionable gear so that we look good while being safe and protected against any injury or death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very important that people wear helmets whenever they ride motorcycles I still see many individuals ride motorbikes without any helmet on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were only given a license to catch all those motorcycle riders who are not wearing a helmet, many would be so angry at me right now for I'd really miss no one. Safety is very important for all those on the road, so motorists should be careful while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very important that both passenger and driver have the safety helmets just to prevent injuries in case of accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I could not agree more, following rules is one of the best way to keep ourselves from nasty accidents.... wearing a helmet is just one of them

    ReplyDelete
  6. although it's really expensive to buy a new helmet, we have to abide the law and it's for our own good afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree with rockirstin i wont miss anyone also. its your own destiny and fault also if some mistake happens so better be come out preapred. Because even you are looking both ways to be careful someone is just there going to bump you and dont even care at all xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for having the prescribed helmet and abiding the law. It will surely help you evade from danger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually worn a helmet a couple of times now. So others may not really like how uncomfortable it feels to the skin when worn. But of course, it's better to wear it rather than regret things later on. It's safety first over comfort and overall look (well, in this perspective).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wearing of helmet while riding in a motorcycle is a must and good to know that the government is serious in new Law's implementation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, poor implementation of the law hinders the success of this 'helmet stuff'. Ang dami kong nakikita na violators eh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I'm stuck in traffic, I always see motorcycles beside me na kung makadrive eh parang walang sasakyan together with them. Tsk. Yung iba pa talaga, sobrang bilis magpatakbo. That is why I also believe na they should wear helmets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. With or without the law, everyone who rides and drives a motorcycle should wear helmets.. its for their own safety.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use a FOX motocross helmet and it's not ICC-certified, sadly. I can't ride a bike to work now, so it's the traffic-ensured bus that I have to use. I don't recognize a lot of the brands you've listed but since I'm a fan of Spyder, I might just get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad that here in our city, it is mandatory to assure the safety both the driver and passenger. Safety is always the first concern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also blog about this, it is important to keep safe all the time, its okay to spend at least we are secured.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helmets are important. My motorbike was hit by a car and I rapidly rolled on the ground 2 years ago. Had not been for my helmet, I may probably damaged my head because it slammed hard on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Helmets are very important not only to the motorcycles driver but also with the passengers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Safety helmets is indeed what this motor vehicle accident prone country needs. Kudos to people who follow the helmet law.

    ReplyDelete
  20. At some places it is not mandatory to wear helmet while riding motorcycles. People wear if they feel like wearing it otherwise you can't see anyone who wear helmets on their bikes.

    Regards,
    Arnold Brame

    ReplyDelete