For the materials, you will be needing the following:
- Empty box of toothpaste or alike packaging;
- A pair of scissors or cutter;
- Any adhesive (tape, epoxy, or alike); and
- An old pail or container.
Here's how to do it:
- Cut the loose portion of the toothpaste box on both ends using scissors. Both openings should be cleared of hindrance so the mouse can easily slip in and out.
- Make a tiny hole anywhere in the tip of the box where you can tie the string. Tie the other end of the string to a chair or any object that can support the weight of the box.
- Inside the tip of the box, paste or tape a small cheese or any food that can attract mice. The tape will secure the food when the box falls, so you won't necessary refill it every time you catch a mouse.
- Put the box in the edge of the table in a balancing position where half of it's body should be protruding, or just enough that it won't fall.
- Position a pail or any container having the same opening directly under the protruding opening of the box. Fill it up to half level.
But hey, it effectively worked for us, so it's worth the trouble. Hope it'll work for you too, good luck. Yahweh bless.