Pages

Social Spark

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sleepless Nights Again

It has been 5 years since we had a baby in our home, I almost forgot what  it was like having one.  Now, our little one is reminding me those sleepless nights once more.  Newborns seem to have their own sleeping hours, very unique to the rest of us.  Mine is wide awake during times people should have been sleeping, 11 in the evening until 5 in the morning of the following day.  He has this habit of always wanting to be carried almost the whole time when awake.  A friend told us that premature babies are like that because they got out early when they should have been still be in the womb.  Logical or not, I'm starting to believe it.

I really wouldn't mind being awake with our son, but needing to go to work without a proper sleep is another thing.  So I'm now trying to recall what were those things I did in the past.  And then I realized the same things happened back then, the only thing that changed is I was 5 years younger back then.  It's really amazing what age can do to you, things were just not as easy as before.

Here are a list of things I tried just to make him fall asleep:
  • bore him to sleep with a lullaby;
  • carry him in a comfortable position and start dancing slowly in a rocking motion;
  • blow his eyes softly;
  • new diapers and feed him milk, and never forget the "burp" part;
  • (if still nothing prevails), I beg him to sleep and even bribe him with my 1 month salary just for a straight hour of sleep;
  • but the most effective, tagging my wife and telling her the baby needs motherly love... hahaha...;
  • however, if wifey is in the night shift, I have no choice but to play with our baby a game we call "who will blink first"... until morning.
Kidding aside, we know that having a baby isn't an easy responsibility to bear.  And it ain't new to us.  I just dunno why I feel like a newbie time and time again.  Well, though I know I will never be an expert on child care but I just know I can, it's innate...  No matter how hard it is, as a parent, sacrifices are such an easy thing to give to a child, for they are created beautiful, irresistible, cute and most of all, a precious gift the Lord had given us.  Yahweh bless.

25 comments:

  1. yeah, i know. i sometimes wonder how i made through college without much sleep. i lived in a dorm two years, and it was very noisy, hectic, and i drank lots of coffee to stay up all night and day. but i survived college, and then slept all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure all the sleepless night would be worth it once you see all the cute gestures of your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God nakatapos na rin kami ni misis mag-matulog ng mga babies namin. But it is really worth reminiscing those precious moments na napupuyat ka sa pagpatulog ng mga chikiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Franc :) For all the "hard nights" of parenthood, it's something no parent ever regrets, and I look forward to having my own kids in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also tried the one month salary bribe but our child only said "what you mean one month? You're salary's mine for the next 18 years!". Doesn't work dude. You will get your sleep once you retire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this sleepless nights also. But I agree with Franc it is all worth it. It is like sharing the burden of parenthood and a rite of passage for fatherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a baby in our house too. But he's not mine, nor do I have a child of my own yet. But I can certainly see the sleepless nights from his parents. But at the end of the day, with sleep or none.. both parents are overjoyed with his presence. :) I'm sure you'll get things going sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that your baby in the picture? Babies are really cute and fun to watch no matter what they are doing except when they cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's also fun having those little deeds and games with your baby. At least, you get the chance to bond.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww sleepless but priceless. it only means you are watching him every single time while he is growing up. cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my.I'll be having my first baby come this feb.naku.umpisa na rin to ng long sleepness nights.maybe I'll try your tips.baka magwork :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. My only wish is to get pregnant this year. It will be okay for me to get sleepless nights, I have been wanting to have a child.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I had the ability to raise them I'd love to have 8 kids... Kids are fun to have around... Anyway, you'll only have to deal with that kind of sleeping pattern in a few months... One way of dealing with it is, sleeping when you're baby is asleep or you could take turns with your wife...

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the precious moments to be treasured. Babies grow fast. Enjoy every single moment while he is still young.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. consider caring for your child is a priceless adventure of your life . You have the gift that some people fail to have . When your son become of age , you can transfer the knowledge you learned so he can take it with him the time he decided to have his own family too..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. hahaha. Cool list [and quite funny] you have there just to put your baby to sleep. :D You seem to be a good dad and a loving one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i can still remember how hard it was having this same issue of sleepless nights. My daughter is 5 now so not a baby anymore but will sure make another one and will be back to zero again heheh xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been there too! Sleepless night? Super hate. But it gave us CHALLENGES to wake up for a brand new LIFE, caring and loving our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember my time of having to watch the sun rise while trying to put my baby to sleep and having no time to sleep after because of the work that has to be done while the baby is asleep. No regrets though...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha you're funny! you're baby's sooo cute! I guess one day, the memory of bribing part he'll remember.. and someday will ask you to pay! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I know you'll need it again and again! Cherish the moment though, time flies fast!

      Delete
  21. My wife and I were very fortunate not to encounter too many sleepless nights when our daughter was still young. If all else fails, my wife takes care of the rest. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Making baby sleep is a challenge for dads like us. Haha. And yes, asking the wife that the baby needs her scent to fall asleep is the easiest thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, makes me wonder if i did the same trouble with my own father too lol. Your baby is so cute. But I prefer babies instead of annoying kids (it's my niece) they just won't listen to older folks anymore >_<

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used to be a babysitter for my aunt's new born baby. Before it was a challenge for me to make her sleep especially when my aunt's is in the office. One effective way I learned to make the baby calm all day is that I wore a t-shirt of her mom or, at least, put it in my shoulder while I carry her. Of course, it should be clean.

    ReplyDelete